lost in a multitude of words

Monday, 23 January 2012

HBBC[14] - Guilty Pleasures

With the sorry state of affairs this tumultuous year has left us in, where we would get used to seeing rising numbers of deaths on the news, when 14, 23, 36, 42...slowly numbed us and made us accept the rising levels every day, when it made us think 'oh el7amdulah its not too bad today' when seeing that the official death toll of 40 instead of the 200 was recorded, we allowed ourselves to sink in quiet mournful silence as we watched life swirl uncontrollably out of our hands and our muses lay dormant.

But I digress. Welcome to the 14th post for the HBBC - Guilty Pleasures chosen by the sweetest mozzah Engi.

***

What do I talk about? Which pleasure to discuss and bare? I beg your pardon, I mean share! The pleasure of good friends? The intoxicating sound of music? The addiction of good rich food? To curl up with a good romance? Tuck my toes into soft warm slippers and sip hot chocolate with a movie?

But time and again, I find my one hard core addiction, my secret guilty pleasure that will draw me back again and again without daring to acknowledge the full hold it has on me...is Harry Potter.

It's no secret I devour books, or ravish them with a starved desire surpassed only by the golden girl of the trio, Hermione Granger or by the greasy git of the dungeons, Severus Snap. But these 7 books are different. I never tire, and when I do my imagination takes over. I see the hidden complexities, the intrigue written all over, the subtle hints, the unsaid words. There came a time when I could quote the fourth book by heart, when each word brought me such joy, where idioms could easily be replaced with Harry Potter jargon.

But there is something that fuels my love and memories, my passion for Harry Potter. I don't know who will appreciate it enough but www.fanfiction.net is a treasure grove full of gems. Of course to find the gems one must sift through a number of pebbles, but this website has fuelled my passion for HP for years. Alternative universes exist there, if Snape had survived, if Hermione turned evil, if Draco became a good guy. From the downright disturbing (Voldermort taking out his twisted sadistic desires on Granger) to the typical canon compliant (Harry and Ginny with their kids). Everything you want is there. Romance, comedy, angst, drama, hurt, friendship, M-rated, comfort, anger. Characters mix in unexpected ways, another side of Snape is shown with him in love with Granger, Draco could live happily ever after with Ginny, Fred with Loony Luna, Ron with Luna, Susan, Lavender, Pansy. Take your pick, abuse Harry Potter, let your imagination go wild. Albus can be an interfering old man and Ron can be a cheating prick.

I know most don't dare challenge their ideas of HP, but to me, the ever-changing characters add a secret pleasure, and never detract from the quality of the original, merely enhances.

And your thoughts remain your own. I remained convinced of Snape's innocence, even after the 6th book. Reading thousands of fan fics calling Albus a meddling old fool hasn't changed my mind, he was wise, so very wise.

And Ron will be Ron. After all, he wasn't sorted into Gryffindor for no reason!

So, loosen up and wipe that scowl (borrowed from Severus no doubt!) of your face, rules were made to be broken and Harry Potter enjoyed. I dare you. Read a fanfic!

2 comments:

  1. Harry Potter :D Ron will be Ron :D :D
    I loved this post, I'm happy HBBC is back or hopefully is back, your posts are always unexpected :D I love them
    Which reminds me that we are yet to read the 2nd of the seven books :D and I'm still waiting for the map of love review
    7ebek <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't know what my guilty pleasure is! I need to sit down and actually think about it.

    I admit that I'm one of those people who avoids reading HP fanfiction, because I like to keep in mind the original story. Otherwise I would get so mixed up. That's partly the reason why I was so excited about Pottermore, at least then we will have more information about the characters from the most reliable source out there i.e. JK Rowling herself!

    ReplyDelete

Indulge me - comment!