lost in a multitude of words

Sunday, 27 March 2011

A New Beginning...

Special thanks go out to my Iraqi flower, who encouraged me to go ahead with this and told me she’d read my blog no matter how crap it turned out to be.
A friend asked me a while ago if I had ever considered making myself a blog. The truthful answer was yes I had considered, but it’s never been more than a thought, I mean, what would I blog about? I’m not as politically aware as others; I don’t have that many deep insights to share or wisdom to impart. So what should I blog about?
I’ve kept a diary from 2005, one single diary in which I’ve written in it on and off for over six years, I poured my heart into it, every time things got too much, I shared in it my thoughts, my fears, my joys, my crushes, every stupid thought that could possibly cross a teenagers mind was recorded in it, and then the pages would be stapled and my diary would be relegated back to the shelves until another period of angst demanded that it be recalled. Of course this was not to be, a few months ago I found my sister had thoughtfully unstapled the pages of my diary and had sat there for hours trying to decipher it. Such an intrusion of privacy I had never felt so sharply, and in my anger I shredded each and every page, six years of emotions, gone just like that.
I’ve felt the emptiness ever since. No other diary I look at seems to hold the same attraction, the same kind invitation for me to come and pour my heart out to it and talk about the most seemingly uninteresting and random things. So I decided to give blogging a chance. Not that a person needs to make their lives any more public in this Orwellian society, with our facebook accounts and our twitter ones holding our every private detail, our likes, our dislikes, our political stances, perhaps even the amount of water we drink!
I started this blog as a gift for a friend, a girl that means the world to me, and for who no words can say enough. I wanted to take a minute out of my hectic work asphyxiating life to show her some appreciation. No matter how dim my day can be, her smile would brighten it up, no matter how bad my problem may seem to be, her words would lighten it, truly, her name suits, for she lights up my life.

To N.R 
A petal
Unfurling
Towards the sun
Brightening up
Those around her

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the beautiful world of blogging. Your 1st post was really interesting to read, for I believe we could get to know you better through it.
    Your sister reading your diaries must have been awful, I can only imagine. I started writing in one not long ago, and I make sure I am a bit vague so that if read it wouldn't be understodd :P
    Keep blogging!!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless.

    I'm so honoured to have a sister like you, honestly, I appreciate that fact every single minute of every singly day.

    Thank you for your beautiful words, but thank you mostly for being the amazing person that you are and lighting up MY life with your special presence <3

    I'm really glad you're writing this blog, I can't stop smiling at the thought of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're blogging, if a person can put words together to express what's on their mind, it's you!
    I completely understand about the privacy part, for me almost everyone in my family at some point read my diary but unlike you I didn't write anything serious, only general thoughts, but I'd step in on them and they'd continue reading as if they had every right to!
    God I don't know how it must've felt ripping the pages off. :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god,
    Oh my god at the fact that you tore each and every page of your diary. I did it once with my personal blog, except that I removed them from my site, but they're still there. It somehow felt like opening a new page though, emptiness will someday go, believe me =)

    I do believe Noor is a wonderful person, both actually. Lucky us ;)

    Please keep it up =)
    N

    ReplyDelete
  5. May be your sister is just as curious. Keep blogging and sure will come back.

    ReplyDelete

Indulge me - comment!