lost in a multitude of words

Saturday, 5 April 2014

The Gift of Books

"Noor, what have you ordered from Amazon?"
"Me? Nothing that I recall..."

Over a month ago, Ibraheem was gifted a book, but for some reason, he didn't appear to have the curiosity to tear open the wrapping and tell us what the book chosen was. In fact, it took him a month to let go of the secret. I remember reading how he was used to gifting books, but didn't think he'd been gifted one ever. I remember thinking it's been some time since I've been gifted a book...




Today, I was gifted a book. There's something so beautiful about unexpected gifts - when it's not your birthday, when there is no occasion, no celebration, nothing to mark your day as anything more than ordinary, only for it to be made special by a completely unanticipated move.


I don't actually know how to leave a gift wrapped - and so - unlike Ibraheem, my gift was unwrapped within seconds (I only just remembered to take a picture of it wrapped) and with it, fell memories. 


I won't claim to have Ibraheem's storytelling technique, but I will say I have a reading technique.

Here's to those who gift books, either in their words, or in actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indulge me - comment!