Slightly
overdue (ok more than slightly) but another post for the HBBC picked by Marwa
Hassan – Our Generation.
Being the diligent
student I am, when I was meant to be preparing for my Spanish exam (remind me
again why I thought it would be a good idea to study Spanish whilst attempting
a masters?) I vibered (the verb, to viber: the abuse of the Bell Invention due
to unfavourable financial circumstances) an Egyptian and, as Egyptians tend to
do, she spoke about Egypt.
What
surprised me the most in our conversation was despite her being one of the most
cheerful optimistic people I know, consistently laughing throughout the
conversation (anyone guessed yet whom?) when the state of affairs came up,
things took a turn for the sombre.
“I’m tired
Noor, I’m tired”
I’m surprised
at how disheartened the youth of today have become, most of all the Egyptian
youth. These are the very people that endured hardship after hardship? These
are the people that went about chanting erfa3 rasak fo2? This is the generation
that brought change, the generation that stands a chance, and they feel
disheartened! The hardest battle was fought and won – and yes, what is coming
will be a long and difficult path, they will be rebuilding their civilisation,
it won’t be easy, decades of traditions and insecurities will have to be thrown
out and replaced, whole mentalities changed, and younger generations educated.
يا شباب،
يا شباب و شابات المستقبل
I have one
question for you – was Rome built in a day?
The more I
read on twitter, the more I’m saddened by the state the youth have let
themselves fall into. I for one am highly optimistic. What is there to not be
optimistic about? Please, take a step back and just think. When I was growing
up in London and people would ask me where I come from, the answer Palestine was
far too complicated, hardly anyone knew where that was geographically and the
ones that did assumed I had mistaken it for Israel. In fact, more oft than not,
I would save myself the trouble and say Lebanon (Currently I'm embracing the world is my home ideology and informing people whichever mix strikes my fancy first, last I heard I was half Palestinian, a quarter Greek, an eighth Malaysian and the rest Turkish)
When I
compare it to now, the amount of English people that not only are they educated
in the Palestinian – Israeli conflict, but that they fight for justice, simply
astounds me. Who knew what Palestine was then?
It’s the same
with Egypt, while I respect all the criticisms flying about, it seems to me
they’ve forgotten the one most vital fact – they can criticise now. If I
could just tell two things to the youth of today, the first would be, observe
and reach your own conclusions – don't let the media and those around you
influence you, and the second would be – never give up hope.
Remember – we
are the future. We can, and we will change and make this world a better place.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Indulge me - comment!