lost in a multitude of words

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Spring


If anyone was to ask me, what is your favourite season, I wouldn't hesitate to reply, "autumn!" For when autumn comes to mind, one thinks of crispy golden leaves, in all their shades of red and yellow, filling the streets and creating pathways of beauty. It is not cold enough for snow and rain, but there is a chilly stillness to the air which defies the claim of rising levels of pollution, as it seems that this air could only be described as fresh.

Yet as spring approaches, the city takes another turn. After the cold, the dreary winter and the lifeless trees, everything seems to come alive with daffodils blooming anew and budding green blooms peeking. I'm not one to draw similies and metaphors about rebirth and starting afresh, ill leave that to the poets amongst us; but today an insight was drilled home. To me, spring signifies the coming of my favourite tree, (yes I have one believe it or not!) the cherry blossom. Its blooms are so picturesque, its beauty so breathtaking, I can stare at it quite literally, for hours at end. It came as quite a surprise thus to find out that not everybody has such trees. For me, the idea that some have lived this long without glancing at this wondrous creation is inconceivable to me. Can there really be a country not blessed with this?

This year has seen a number of corrupt dictatorships fall, Tunisia, Egypt..and who knows what else will come? However going to so many demonstrations, demanding change, freedom for the people, dedicating so much love and attention to these countries that have newly found a firm place in my heart, I overlooked another country, my country. England. For, despite what any would say, yes I do consider England to be my home. It was here I was born, here I was brought up, in its streets did I shop and in its cafes' did I hang out with my friends. Having the freedom to express my opinion so freely, having the right to disagree with any political decisions, to call our prime minister a prick if I so wished..these freedoms are so easily and so often overlooked as we have them. Being a British Londoner in no way makes me forget my heritage, my 'arabness' if you wish to call it, or my right of return. I embrace both cultures as a part of me, for they together define me for what I am.

So, with an (Baskin Robbins!) icecream in hand, a cherry blossom tree to shade, and the sun laughing gaily outside, I say it loud and clear, I love you London <3

3 comments:

  1. It's always refreshing to see someone appreciating what's been there always in their lives. I'm glad you're right where you belong. Enjoy all of your seasons for both of us :D til the time I can come and enjoy them with you <3 And I absolutely loved your description of both spring and autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous. Of your spring, and your London.
    You tease us so with your words, they're wonderful alright, yet they make us think of all the what-ifs.

    <3
    Enjoy your spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know one country that unfortunately is not blessed with cherry blossoms...the one I'm living in right now :P In fact we only have two seasons; winter and summer!

    An insightful writing piece mashAllah, I loved the description of autumn because that is my favourite month too (:

    Enjoy your London spring!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Indulge me - comment!